Monday, May 5, 2008

only 46 people; one battley harley davidson finished; must have been fast.

You guys don't know him, but Ryan Mele is a 22 year old from Pittsburgh (only a Cat 3 a year ago); he finished 12th.

I was hanging around watching the Armed Forces TTT when this Pro guy came up to me. "Woah!", I thought, "he should be warming up!." A Richmond Pro Cycling dude. Ryan Mele. He knew my brother and thought I was him. My brother always talked about him and his talent because he was a strong kid from Pittsburgh with pro talent. I did not know what he looked like; I did know he was young, but looking at him he looked like a seasoned pro with tree-trunk legs and a sprinter's upper body.
Mele only met my brother once last year at Crystal City Crit. I don't know how he remembered what my brother looked like from that long ago. Such a humble guy, too. I told him my brother always talked him up and was proud of him because he's representing Pittsburgh. He didn't say much other than gratitude.

We chatted about his pro life and the course (I assume he didn't ride it). I was jealous; why can't some people have the biology for that kinda talent? And then to ride with Saul; man, some people have life good. Meeting those guys is inspiring.

And as for going off the front: Scott T said he has an advantage with tailwinds; I was pulling on the road by the Pentagon with the strong tailwind. Bill told me to cool it down, yet I didn't think it was too much. Too: I figured you guys had a good draft; I assumed wrong.

It was a good course, but like Dana I kinda felt the course was boring. 8 loops on a ride isn't too exciting. So I made it a personal competition. My arms were hurting that last lap. And my legs are still sore. But it was fun. I think the temperature was around 70. How did I do Pleasant Valley last year in the high 90's? - no wonder I hurled a few times after that race. Praying for summer to stay away!

0 comments: