Thursday, August 16, 2007

Summer vacation

The season's almost over! Well, it is over for me in terms of training very much. There's the Go Fast, Turn Left track event on Saturday, which is something different and fun while I'm on a mini life vacation for five weeks. Then there's the RR Championship in the middle of September. I may do a week of serious training for that if I get bored. Unlikely as I need to get serious about my creative writing and applying to grad schools. Where to go, what kind of finances to look for, the GRE...I bet I'll just apply to a bunch of colleges that have free applications and go from there. If they need to suck money from applicants they surely don't need my skinny wallet. I'll be working the $50 off as I write the application mission statements and creative works, fa sho. My primary location is around DC but I'm not limiting myself.
I might head up to college next week to catch up with the Hawaiians. I don't care all that much about them, but it'd be cool to see how they're doing and keep my connections tight for when I want to go back to Hawaii. Really, it gives me a reason to ride home. I'll ride up from DC, meet my brother, hang out with the brothers, then relax until beach Labor Day weekend to take it easy before Americorps. I'm not looking forward to Americorps. Work isn't my thing. I tend to endeavor in other works while at work to make it feel like I'm still free. We'll see how many more years that lasts.
Creative writing is intense. I read a book about Kurt Vonnegut's style. I admired him solely for the entertainment, but after reading about his technique it gave me new insight into how amazingly in-depth he took to his novels. Most people wouldn't understand most of his sci-fi satire - hell, I don't and I read about it! The mental agony of writing is a task in itself, too. The organization, structure, voice, language, ideas, characters, plots, theme, history, time, bluh bluh bluh rear their heads with every word. Sometimes the play writes itself; other times, not so much.
I also read a book of Kerouac's journals while writing On The Road. He talks about the mental agony a lot. He read, read, read, wrote, wrote, wrote, revised, revised, tore up pages, wrote, wrote, and wrote more, revised, typed, typed, typed, etc. until the manuscript was done. He traveled a bit in between, probably to ease up on the burnout.
Burnout. That's an idea. I've been riding almost 5-6 days a week since May 2006. I never imagined the day I would want to take a break from cycling. As it is, I do realize there's more to life right now, like pursuing a career. There will come a time I will need money. Until then, I'm a free floating spirit. Most kids have an idea of what they want to be when they grow up. Me? I never knew. Everyone wanted to be a pilot, or doctor, or laywer, or real life barbie doll, or teacher, or something that a million and two other kids wanted. I always felt like I was too good for those things, not in a conceited manner but in a way that felt close to "I want to be different." I think writing is my "different", my wings to salvation. It takes an intelligent person to do it, and someone needs to. And from many things I read I know I have more than enough ability and potential - damn, do a good bit of people have poor writing ability ( or poor revising habits). Voice is my weakness.
I grew up playing tons of video games, usually scrounged around for food, and read tons of books to keep myself sane through high school. I worked, too, but most of the time the butter went to my car, almost always an issue with it. Working to drive, and driving to get to work wasn't ideal to me. So now I cycle. How this all relates, I don't know.

Stress is another weakness of mine. Once I master that I'll master the multiverse.

0 comments: